A pair of victories in No. 5 and No. 6 singles play was all Lake Superior State women’s tennis could muster in a 7-2 loss at Lewis to close out the 2016-17 season.
The Lakers (8-9) were swept in doubles play with a pair of 8-0 losses in the first and second pairings, before losing an 8-6 decision in No. 3 doubles.
In singles play, the Lakers received victories from Jenay Andrews in the No. 5 slot and Allison Grandfield playing No. 6 singles. Andrews improved to 10-7 overall in singles play after outlasting Megan Conlin in a 6-2, 5-7, 10-8 victory. Grandfield secured her 10th singles victory of the season by defeating Claudia Maka 6-2, 6-2.
LSSU concludes the 2016-17 campaign with an 8-9 overall mark, their best overall finish since the 2012-13 squad went 11-12 overall.
Lewis 7, Lake Superior State Lakers 2
Mar 01, 2017 at Plainfield, IIl. (5 Star Tennis Complex)
1. Dora Andrejszki (LEWISW) def. Tara Harvey (LSWT) 6-0, 6-0
2. Nora Mindiyarova (LEWISW) def. Laura Roberts (LSWT) 6-0, 6-0
3. Oana Trus (LEWISW) def. Macarena Bielsa (LSWT) 6-0, 6-2
4. Sara Grozdanovic (LEWISW) def. Laura Fernandez (LSWT) 6-2, 6-4
5. Jenay Andrews (LSWT) def. Megan Conlin (LEWISW) 6-2, 5-7, 10-8
6. Allison Grandfield (LSWT) def. Claudia Maka (LEWISW) 6-2, 6-2
1. Dora Andrejszki/Nora Mindiyarova (LEWISW) def. Tara Harvey/Macarena Bielsa (LSWT) 8-0
2. Oana Trus/Sara Grozdanovic (LEWISW) def. Jenay Andrews/Laura Roberts (LSWT) 8-0
3. Megan Conlin/Claudia Maka (LEWISW) def. Laura Fernandez/Allison Grandfield (LSWT) 8-6
Source: LSSU Athletics