Steelhawks Double Up on Huskies in High School Hockey Action

In the lone game of the Sault Ste Marie High School Hockey League on November 22nd, the second place (1-1-1) Superior Heights Steelhawks took on the fourth place (1-3) Central Algoma Huskies at the John Rhodes Centre. The Steelhawks return from the 12th Annual Capital High School Hockey Tournament in Ottawa, Ontario on November 20th and 21st in Ottawa, Ontario with a 0 – 3 record while Huskies are coming off a 5 – 1 loss to the St. Mary’s Knights on November 17th.

With the Steelhawks on a power play, Mark Keenan sinks an unassisted goal behind Huskie goaltender Shaymus Gregory at 12:53 of the first to give Superior Heights a 1 – 0 lead. At 8:53 of the opening period, CASS’ Nathan Askew fires a pass to Jack McLeod to even the game 1 – 1 for the Huskies. With 4:38 left the first, Superior Heights Elijah Yandeau sends a pass to Gabe Spina to give the Steelhawks a 2 – 1 lead. Ethan Johnson sinks the Steelhawks third of the game to bring the lead to 3 – 1 with Ethan West and Jacob Tulloch adding the helpers on Johnson’s goal 2:40 into the middle stanza. McLeod and Askew set up the Huskies second goal of the game on a Matt Quenneville’s power play goal behind Superior Heights netminder Zach Tarantini at 7:54 of the period to pull CASS within one. Scoring their second power play goal of the period, Huskie Ethan Cooke evens the game 3 – 3 with a helper from Nathan Askew.

At 12:50 of the final period, Spina finds the back of CASS’ net for his second of the contest with Ethan Johnson drawing the contributor on Spina’s power play goal. 53 seconds after the halfway mark of the period, Steelhawk Jordan Reda gives Superior Heights 5 – 3 lead with Preston Copper – Guy adding the assist on Reda’s goal. Christian Wilson and Spina had the helpers on Steelhawk Reda’s second goal of the period to increase the lead to 6 – 3 at 6:38 of the period. Quenneville closes the gap to two with the Huskies fourth of the game at 5:55 of the third. Cooke and Askew notched the contributors on Quenneville’s second of the game. Registering a hat trick and bringing the lead to 7 – 4 was Jordan Reda at 4:14 with Johnson and Ryan Guindon setting up Reda’s third. With time ticking down and one minute left in the game, Ethan West gives the Steelhawks a 8 – 4 win on an unassisted Superior Heights goal.

The Huskies will return to action on November 29th at the Joh Rhodes Centre in a 3:30 p.m start against the St. Mary’s Knights while the Steelhawks next opponents will be the Korah Colts in a 3:30 p.m puck drop on November 30th at the John Rhodes Centre.

Leave a Reply